A former front line sworn Police Officer, I am now a writer, trainer, and presenter of virtual operations support and social media use in emergency management and crisis communication, as well as an active practitioner in the disaster response field.
Since 1992, my career has included working for Montgomery County Police (USA), Merseyside Police (UK), and New Zealand Police. Roles and responsibilities included being a front line sworn Police Officer, Investigator and Communications Policy Advisor.
I have served in a variety of leadership roles, most recently as the Team Leader for New Zealand Virtual Operations Support Team (NZ VOST). In my role as Team Lead, I have been able to leverage my experience when activated to perform specific functions in support of public safety and emergency management organizations.
Recent digital response efforts include:
• RIMPAC, Rim of the Pacific 2012 Crisis mapping exercise – The world’s largest international maritime exercise (HMRD)
• Multinational Communications Interoperability Pre – Exercise Pacific Endeavor 2012 (HMRD)
• London Olympics 2012 – Crisis mapping deployment
• Wildfire Activation: Arapaho Fire, USA 2012
• Wildfire Activation: Barry Point Fire, USA 2012
• Wildfire Activation: Table Mountain Fire, USA 2012
• Hurricane Isaac 2012 (HMRD)
• Hurricane Sandy Activation: NYVOST 2012
I am a member of various groups such as Humanity Road, and The International Network of Crisis Mappers and The Emergency 2.0 Wiki Accessibility Reference Group.
I Provide Consultancy Services Specializing in Public Safety/ Emergency Management, Law Enforcement, Government and Business.
- Social media strategy
- Social media 101
- Social media training and workshop delivery
- Reputation management advisor
- Social media coaching
- Incident response asset for Emergency Management / Public Safety Agencies.